28 Feb
A Turkish official says an airstrike carried out by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces has killed 29 Turkish troops in Idlib, northwestern Syria.
The governor of Turkey's Hatay province spoke to reporters on Friday. He said Assad's forces attacked troops that had been sent by Turkey to support the opposition fighters. The province borders Syria.
Turkey had warned Assad that its forces would push back the Syrian troops, if they did not pull out of Idlib province by the end of February.
Assad's forces have increased their presence in the region. The area is the opposition forces' last stronghold.
Turkey says its troops have been targeted by the Syrian forces five times. The latest attack was the first to cause more than 20 deaths.
Observers say Turkey could launch a major offensive. Such a campaign would add to the tensions in the region.
NHK