18 Dec
Northern Ireland will impose a six-week lockdown after Christmas as rising coronavirus case rates strain the British province's public health system, the devolved government announced Thursday.
The new restrictions, which begin on December 26, include an initial week of even tougher rules banning sports events and requiring retailers to close by 8:00 pm, deputy first minister Michelle O'Neill said.
However there is also to be a review of the lockdown's strict conditions after four weeks.
"The situation in terms of Covid is quite dire," O'Neill told reporters after the Northern Irish Executive met to agree the new measures.
"It's very clear from the cases, the positive cases that we’re seeing every day, that an urgent intervention was required.
"It’ll be disappointing to many. I think a lot of people will also have expected it."
Under the restrictions, hospitality venues must remain closed except for takeaway service, along with all non-essential retail.
The tightened rules will begin as Northern Ireland benefits from a UK-wide easing of limits on indoor gatherings for a five-day period over Christmas.
From December 23, up to three households will be allowed to meet across the UK's four nations, except in Wales where the number is limited to two.
The government in London and devolved administrations in Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh reaffirmed the plans this week despite calls for less easing owing to a nationwide surge in infection rates.
Case numbers have risen in Northern Ireland despite a two-week lockdown that started late last month, and hospital admissions and death rates remain relatively high.
Britain has been one of the worst affected countries in the pandemic, registering more than 66,000 deaths from nearly two million positive cases, according to the latest government figures.
AFP